Monday, January 14, 2008

Who knew there were so many Edmonton Oilers fans?

So this past weekend, Charlene (Amanda's mom), came into town. She flew into Calgary on Thursday morning and on Friday night, we drove to Edmonton to visit Peter (Amanda's dad). It's always a good time when Charlene comes to visit, since she and Amanda go grocery shopping and stock up on great food. (We just recently finished up some Thai sauce that Charlene bought us 2 years ago.)

So anyway, while in Edmonton, we decided to go visit the West Edmonton Mall for a little bit of shopping. Having previously held the title of the World's Largest Mall, I figured the mall would make for some good shopping. And being so soon after the Christmas season, I figured the mall would be pretty empty... boy was I mistaken. As we were driving up to the mall, I noticed that there was quite a bit of traffic on the Whitemud freeway leading to the mall exit, and then on the street leading up to the mall, the first left turn lane was backed up for blocks. I took the second turn lane and found an empty parking spot. When we entered the mall through a side door, the foot traffic inside wasn't that bad compared to the car traffic that I had just fought through outside... at least that's what I thought, until we turned the corner to the main corridor of the mall. It was then that I noticed several long lineups of people waiting... at first I thought it was the Canadian Idol auditions, but then I noticed that most people were dressed in Edmonton Oilers jerseys. And then I saw the sign advertising the Oilser's Autograph sessions that were taking place at various locations around the mall... starting in a half hour. So not only did we have to deal with crazy people lining up for someone to sign a piece of paper, but we would have to deal with those people for as long as we were in the mall. Who knew there were that many Edmonton Oilers fans!? We fought through the crowds, and finished our shopping and left the mall without hanging around too much. I guess it could have been worse, it could have really been the Canadian Idol auditions.
Related Posts with Thumbnails